As a school we are adding another layer to the Leader in Me called Responsibility Centered Discipline. This approach to discipline is designed with the intent to:
- build each student’s capacity to solve problems,
- learn from success and failure,
- develop an emotional intelligence,
- understand cause and effect or consequences of their actions
- and gain a basic ability to take responsibility for themselves.
The model we are implementing is outlined in:
Roadmap to Responsibility, a book by Larry Thompson. (For more information you can also check out this YouTube Playlist: Responsibility Centered Discipline
Teachers and staff have been participating in a book study and professional development teaching kids to be responsible for their own behavior. He will soon be coming out with a parenting book.
Other models or parenting supports that follow the same philosophy are
Parenting with Love and Logic, by Foster Cline and Jim Fay;
Teaching Your Children Values and The Entitlement Trap, by Linda and Richard Eyre.
Here is a link to a Forbes article “8 Powerful Ways to Mold Your Children Into Leaders:”