Google Meet Updates for Education Accounts
September 3, 2020
We’re giving hosts (meeting creators and calendar owners) of G Suite for Education meetings new meeting safety controls to manage who can share their screen and who can send chat messages within the meeting.
Manage who can share their screenTo control who can share their screen in a meeting, hosts can turn “Share their screen” on or off. By default, this setting will be on.
When “Share their screen” is on, participants will see the option to share their screen to all meeting participants.
When “Share their screen” is off:
- Only the host can share their screen.
- The option to “Present now” won’t show for participants.
Hosts can turn “Share their screen” on or off from within meetings on the web. Hosts will not see the option to change this setting on mobile devices.
Manage who can send in-meeting chat messagesTo control who can send chat messages in a meeting, hosts can turn “Send chat messages” on or off. By default, this setting will be on.
When “Send chat messages” is on, participants will see the option to send chat messages to meeting participants.
When “Send chat messages” is off:
- Only the host can send chat messages, but participants will still be able to see messages sent by the host.
- Messages sent when “Send chat messages” was on will still show in the chat history.
Hosts can turn “Send chat messages” on or off from within meetings on the web. Hosts will not see the option to change this setting on mobile devices.
Moderator controls for who can share their screen
Moderator controls for who can send chat messages
If you’re unable to turn the features on or off, it’s possible that you have a Chrome extension for Meet which is preventing the features from working. To fix the issue, try turning your Meet Chrome extensions off.
Admins: There are no admin controls for these features.
End users: These features will be on by default and can be turned on or off by the host during each meeting. Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning these features on or off in your meetings.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
- Available to all G Suite for Education and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to G Suite Essentials, G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
“My Tickets” on the Dashboard
The Dashboard has a new feature on the IMS Support Page. You can now view all of your submitted Tickets and their status very easily. The ticket submission form has also been simplified for easy submission.
Technical Support for Parents
We have also added some technical support features to the OPA website so the parents of online learners can easily request help from support.
- Technical Support Form
- Live Chat
1. Technical Support Form – You can access the Technical Support from from the “Contact OPA” page on the main menu.
2. Live Chat – If a parent has a question, they can visit the OPA Site and have a live chat conversation with myself or KPOP very quickly. The chat feature is located on the bottom right side of every page on the site.
We are hoping that these features will help lessen the stress of our online learners and provide our small tech support team with some structure, and organization in order to meet our family needs.
Clever Upload Schedules
From this point forward, The entire Elementary roster of students and classes will be uploaded on a daily schedule to Clever. This new process should in theory provide a more stable roster for all the student applications, and should allow for less issues with new students and classroom changes.
Fire Safety at OPA
Be on the look out for Fire Safety Information from your building Principals regarding our required protocol for fire drills and evacuation drills during the pandemic.